By Terry Carter, Editor
I just finished watching a 6-minute video at Ted.com by New Orleans artist Connie Chang. If you are not aware, Ted.com is a popular website where sometimes inspiring, sometimes groundbreaking ideas are shared in short snippets. Many are calls to action.
Connie’s talk centered around a large chalkboard put up in a neighborhood with the beginning of a sentence and space for the community to fill in their personal answer. The introduction is: Before I Die, I Will… The website for is http://www.BeforeIDie.cc
While the chalkboard allowed for one line of handwritten completion, many scrawled entries beyond the formal spacing. The canvas was filled in fewer than 24 hours. Now you can find “Before I Die…” walls in Houston and around the world.
In support of Connie’s idea to transform a rundown, abandoned home into a constructive location, I want to chip in my input. I am confident that it too will exceed the formal spacing allowed although it may not match the first signer Connie highlighted. That was a man dressed as a pirate, scribbling: “I want to be TRIED FOR PIRACY.”
Still, here is my personal list.
Before I die, I want to:
- Live my life fueled by hope, faith and love
- Inspire greatness through God’s will
- Show love, appreciation daily to my outstanding, wise and talented children
- Celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary with the only woman in my world
- Break 35 minutes in a 5K run — hopefully all downhill and with a gale force wind
- Write more than 25 books
- Play golf in the United Kingdom with Rory, Jordan and Tom Watson
- Financially support life-changing organizations like: Archway Academy, Cornerstone Recovery, the American Diabetes Association, The Bruce Lee Foundation and many more
- Contribute to world peace with my unique gifts
- Share positive family stories for my children to cherish and my grandchildren to adore hearing
Friends, my list is a bit extreme, I admit. But I have always dreamed of accomplishing great things. My wish for you is that you will join me in posting your “Before I Die” list.